Thursday, March 27, 2008

Proposed NFL Rule Changes

According to the Rocky Mountain News, the NFL will vote on the following proposed changes for the upcoming season:

  • Allowing defensive players to wear headsets like quarterbacks currently do.

    My Take: DO IT NOW! Is there any doubt that this will pass? After the enduring the idiocy of Spygate, this is a change that must be made to restore the fan's (and Senator's) confidence.

  • If you have long hair, its got to be tucked into your jersey.

    My Take: DUMB MOVE. This post just about sums it up. This initiative is almost as stupid as this.

  • Base playoff seedings on record (for the 3rd through 6th seeds) rather than automatically awarding the three-seed the top spot.

    My Take: DUMB MOVE. So let me get this straight, I win my division, fail to receive a bye because a team in another division--who could of just had a softer division and softer schedule--had a better record. Now I'm looking at a wild-card seeding because the second-place finisher in a crappy division finished a game better than me.

    The last time this rule change would have actually mattered was in 2005 where Jacksonville (12-4) would have received a higher seed than the Bengals (11-5) and Patriots (10-6), despite having a significantly easier schedule.

  • A vote to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement in 2010. Bowlen is one of the bleeding deacons pushing for this move.

    My Take: IT HAS TO HAPPEN. Its difficult to say whether Bowlen--who's acted like he's teetering on bankruptcy in recent months--is putting on a show for the owners and the NFLPA, or if he's got legitimate financial problems. I seriously doubt its the latter of the two. However, I have serious concerns about the competitive landscape in the NFL. In my opinion, the salary cap acceleration is destroying parity in the NFL. The salary cap is supposed to be a price ceiling. If the ceiling is above the market-clearing cap figure, it over-burdens small market teams. Some kind of adjustment is needed (either in terms of revenue sharing or salary cap) to keep things competitive. Sadly, there will probably be a lockout in 2010 (here is a portentous article from SI on this subject).

  • Formally put in place a 5 to 7 day period prior to free agency for players to talk to suitors.

    My Take: *YAWN* This is obviously a rule intended to send a signal that teams will no longer get away with free-agent tampering. I'm actually excited about this rule change given that Herm Edwards will finally quit sniveling."


That's a wrap.

No comments: