Monday, April 7, 2008

Kuper a Rising Star in Denver

Pro Football Weekly's bi-weekly 'whispers' article had the following to say about 2006 5th-rounder Chris Kuper:

We hear Chris Kuper is the front-runner to fill the Broncos’ vacancy at left tackle created by the retirement of Matt Lepsis. Kuper can play guard or tackle, started 11 games last season and has quickly worked his way up the ladder since he was drafted in 2006. His rise is impressive, considering head coach Mike Shanahan generally stocks his line with more experienced players.


It looks like Pro Football Weekly is paying a little closer attention to the facts than rival ESPN. Kuper's emergence leaves us in decent shape at the offensive tackle position with Erik Pears a capable option on the strong side and last years 3rd-rounder Ryan Harris providing depth. Finding a replacement for the concussion-prone and soon-to-be-retired Ben Hamilton is arguably a bigger need than offensive tackle on draft day. Despite these easily-discernible facts, the geniuses at ESPN have decided Denver will reach for Jeff Otah rather than Chris Williams in the first round. Go figure.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Howdy r8rh8r!

I have to say, just because Shanny said Kuper is 'the guy' doesn't mean our tackle position is solved. A lot of fans are high on Kuper for reasons I can't discern... I'm watching my own DVR recording of the Chargers-Broncos Christmas Eve game right now, and I have to say, Kuper played poorly.

I don't picture the Broncos challenging for a championship with Harris, Kuper and Pears as our tackle options. Addressing the position early will help us return to a Super Bowl.

On another note, I think you're doing a great job with your blog. If you're ever interested in guest blogging for BroncoTalk, let me know. It's a great way to get a little pub for your site, although I believe I've linked to you once or twice in the Daily Links. :)

Michael said...

Kyle:

I'm sorry it took me a while to get back to you; I've had a busy morning.

I think your assessment of the offensive line is fair. If you read my post from this morning, I rebutted this comment, albeit admitting that you are probably right in your claim that I am perhaps overly optimistic.

Thank you for your high praise of my site. I would be honored to be a guest blogger at your site and will gladly reciprocate the invitation. I saw that you linked my defensive line article at your site and want to thank you for the publicity.

Thanks for stopping by!