Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lombardi on Broncos Draft: 'Think Big'

Broncos castoff Michael Lombardi offered his draft insights for all of his former employers. In Denver's case, he had the following to say:

"It is critical in the NFL to have symmetry with your personnel. Right now, the Broncos don't have that fluid feel to their offense. They have a tremendous drop-back passer in Jay Cutler, but a smallish offensive line. The two pieces don't work well together.

Cutler is at his best when he can stand behind the center and throw the ball all over the field. He has very unique skills that can eventually lead a team to the Super Bowl, but he needs to have an offensive line that can highlight those skills. The Broncos need to acquire bigger bodies to help protect Cutler, not only to throw the ball down the field but also to control the line of scrimmage.

Cutler was uncanny last year in his ability to throw the ball with defensive lineman all around his legs. But Cutler took too many unnecessary hits and the Broncos needs to do a better job of securing him in the pocket."


The Broncos certainly got off to a good start by signing 322-pound Montrae Holland away from New Orleans. In Harris and Kuper, they have a pair of 300-pound lineman who may have another 10 pounds left on their frame. Denver will undoubtedly target a pair of offensive lineman this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see two athletes of the 305-pound+ variety.

1 comment:

Michael said...

DT
OL (pick a position)
RB
ILB
S
WR
DE
CB

In that order. That said, I don't think we have to pigeonhole ourselves into taking a OT in the first round. Mendenhall is at the top of my draft sheet at #12. I like Rivers (we'd probably have to trade D.J. by April 2009 if we picked him), McKelvin, Harvey, and Clady with this pick as well.

I'm fine with Denver taking Clady, although he kind of gives me the creeps when I see him in an interview. I don't think Clady will be around.

Otah and Williams are not 12th-pick talents in my opinion. If Denver feels that they must have an offensive lineman in this year's draft, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down to grab Otah, Williams, or Cherilius in the 20's. I will throw my remote at the T.V. if we take any of these guys at 12. They aren't 12th picks.